We don't do not spare any expense to make a buck. (Much to my Mother's dismay) Our financial gain at your loss is NOT an option in my world! At Farm to Bowl we aim to buy HUMAN/Pharmaceutical grade, organic, American-made products and ingredients whenever possible! Some exceptions may include Green Lipped Mussel from New Zealand and Kelp from Norway because thats where you will find the best of those ingredients!
It's unacceptable that in order to buy affordable meat in this country, farm animals are forced to sacrifice their quality of life, and die without dignity. In a perfect "Farm to Bowl" world, farm animals we eat are:
1. Free to roam in an open natural environment, with access to species appropriate food, water and shelter.
2. They would be PASTURE RAISED and PASTURE SLAUGHTERED. PERIOD! (Why should they be uprooted and transported to a scary slaughterhouse to wait their turn to die while spending weeks if not months listening to the cries of their friends going before them?
Studies show that animals that have been frightened or stressed before death, release the hormone adrenaline in their bodies which actually negatively affects the quality of their meat! The hormones from that terror is eventually ingested by us! It's frequently been discussed as a reason to make slaughterhouse practices more humane. Wheres the action?
The key ingredient here is lactic acid: in an unstressed animal, after death, muscle glycogen is converted into lactic acid, which helps keep meat tender, pink, and flavorful. Adrenaline released by stress before slaughter uses up glycogen, which means there's not enough lactic acid produced postmortem. This affects different kind of meat in different ways, but in general it'll be tough, tasteless, and high in pH, and will go bad quicker than unstressed meat. (Lactic acid helps slow the growth of spoilage bacteria.)
Why is it only affordable to eat animals who suffered, where seemingly so much more effort was put into their improper feeding, breeding and slaughter? One would think it would cost more money to hire all those extra people to feed, house, transport, vet and slaughter animals, don't forget vehicle maintenance and gas.)
3. Farm animals would be healthier due to a stress free environment, lifestyle and biologically appropriate diet. Thus drastically reducing the added veterinary expenses involved in factory farming. They wouldn’t be given growth hormones or antibiotics which ultimately ends up causing us to become resistant to antibiotics when we actually need them. We stay sicker as a result.
One day with our influence, I hope we can change the meat and dairy industry as we know it. This is only possible if we DEMAND better for animals and all earths creatures. We can do this by purchasing meat from ranchers who have been audited and certified to the 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating Standards – the signature program of Global Animal Partnership. This is an organization that works hard to improve farm animal welfare! Check em out! This rating tells you exactly how the meat your purchasing was handled. Another thing you can do is buy organic, or better yet biodynamic! (Google it!) We can sign petitions and write our politicians to express our unhappiness about these injustices. Get started with this petition button below or visit https://globalanimalpartnership.org. www.HumaneSociety.org or www.Peta.org to find out what other action you can take.
Farm to Bowl looks for every opportunity to purchase meat from animals who didn't experience the suffrage by the hand of humans that most farm animals raised for food did. For instance, wild Venison or Elk that lived its whole life on an open range. Remember the good ol' days when people used to "shoot some food?" We cant humanely turn our pets into vegans, that’s not an option. however, we can all do what we can to limit our meat and dairy intake as a way to possibly offset what our pets eat and we can commit to TRYING to make a difference.
Pets shouldn't eat what they have a hard time digesting, right? That's just common sense! So why is it that most pet foods out there are filled with starches and some of the most starchy veggies available like peas and carrots? I don't know! Probably because "Thats just how its always been," but its certainly not the scientific answer you'd expect to hear like, "It gives them the essential vitamins they can't live without," because that would be INCORRECT! They CAN live without starches and they should! Why? Here's a not-so-quick breakdown. We'll go into more detail later.
1. FACT! Carbs cause obesity and 40% of dogs in the US are overweight. Obesity is directly linked to diabetes in dogs and cancer. Conditions like these including others are exacerbated by eating too many carbs in people and pets.
2. FACT! A condition that KILLS cells throughout the body and brain, is a precursor to Diabetes, called Syndrome X. It is made worse by eating too many carbs and is the cause of many degenerative diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimers and finally to the 4th stage of canine obesity, Diabetes.
3. FACT! Cutting out carbs and starches can reduce and even eliminate yeast and fungal infections, black skin disease, allergy symptoms and slow the progression of many other diseases and cancers.
4. FACT! Dogs are mostly carnivores and Cats are just FULL ON carnivores. Why the haystack did anyone ever decide to add a potato and rice to pet food! To save money folks! But they had the world believing this was the right diet and no one really questioned it until the last decade and a half or so! We know better now though right??? One woul
Every pet deserves the best food no matter what their parents financial situation is. Their lives depend on it. Pets who don't eat well, end up at the vet more, needing more medical attention, procedures and medications which ultimately costs MORE in the long run than good old healthy eating would cost itself. Unfortunately in the world of animal rescue, we see many animals being relinquished to the city shelters when they become sick and too expensive to fix. These pets are eventually euthanized or rescued by a rescue organization that then spends hundreds if not thousands of dollars medically treating a dog who's illness went unattended for too long. What if we could make a dent in this? What if we could save even ONE pet from suffering, from acquiring a disease or cancer, or even being sent to the shelter because of lack of funds. We might not be able to save the whole world but we can help save the whole world to that one pets; one pet at a time.
If you would like to donate to help sponsor a pet who needs healthy food and doesn't have that access, please go to our donate page at www.FreeLoveAnimalRescue.org and write a note along with your donation that it is for "Good Food For All Pets"
If you would like to donate to help a pets medical expenses that might otherwise end up homeless, write a note that you would like to sponsor a sick pet. This money will go directly to the veterinary office treating the pet. This way I hope to keep more pets together with their families. There are already enough homeless pets. Lets work together to help keep animal loving families together.
If you are a person who would like assistance getting FREE or discounted food for your pets, spay and neuter or advice on how to save money yet still give your best to your pets, please email us to see if you qualify. In the subject line write Attn Good Food For All Pets!